Have you seen kids wearing capes pretending to be superheroes? In fact, you might have been one of them. It’s really great to be doing something that you usually cannot. They cannot fly but they still try. Similarly, if you have no lakes or water bodies to row a boat on, you can always have a close experience with the best rowing machine.
However, if you do have the real experience and it’s just not the season for it but you miss it like hell, best rowing machine will help you nonetheless.
In order to make your cardio exercises more intense but less impactful on your joints, the rowing machine is a good option to have. However, if you are considering buying one, you have to be quite careful. The wrong rowing machine will not only be a waste of money but may also be injurious.
Therefore, we are here to help you know everything you should about the rowing machine before you buy it. Moreover, as a bonus, we will also do ten rowing machine reviews to get you a clearer view. Let’s get started!
- 1 — 10 Best Rowing Machine —
- 1.0.1 Concept2 Model D with PM5 Performance Monitor Indoor Rower Rowing Machine.
- 1.0.2 Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine.
- 1.0.3 Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine.
- 1.0.4 Stamina ATS Air Rower.
- 1.0.5 Stamina 1205 Precision Rower.
- 1.0.6 Harvil Hydraulic Rowing Machine.
- 1.0.7 Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW1410 Rowing Machine
- 1.0.8 Stamina 35-1215 Orbital Rowing Machine with Free Motion Arms.
- 1.0.9 LifeSpan RW1000 Indoor Rowing Machine
- 1.1 — Guide to Buy the Best Rowing Machine —
— 10 Best Rowing Machine —
You have reached the part where we give you the ten best rowing machine reviews!
- Concept2 Model D with PM5 Performance Monitor Indoor Rower Rowing Machine.
- Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine.
- Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine.
- Stamina ATS Air Rower.
- Stamina 1205 Precision Rower.
- Harvil Hydraulic Rowing Machine.
- Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW1410 Rowing Machine Rower.
- Stamina 35-1215 Orbital Rowing Machine with Free Motion Arms.
- LifeSpan RW1000 Indoor Rowing Machine
- Kettler Home Exercise/Fitness Equipment: Favorit Rowing Machine.
Concept2 Model D with PM5 Performance Monitor Indoor Rower Rowing Machine.
If you were planning to go really tough on yourself but worried if the rowing machine could take it, this rowing machine will surely relieve you of your worries. In fact, Concept2 Model D rower promises you durability and robust support. The company provides you with the best quality rowing machine made from the sturdiest materials with a sturdy design.
Its reputation should also assure you. Moreover, it provides comfort besides durability. The seat is perfectly padded for most people but some people did complain about it getting too hard over time. But, you can always alleviate the problem with either a seat pad or a towel.
The handlebars do an amazing job with their rubber grips. Also, the footrest is adjustable to get you the best position. This model has air resistance which offers you a smooth workout but a bit of noise. The PM 5 monitor should amaze you with all the data it provides. You will know your speed, distance, strokes, calories, etc. from the large clear screen.
Moreover, you can also detect your heart rate using a heart monitor (bought separately) and connect it to the PM5 via Bluetooth Smart. Apart from all that, you can store this rowing machine easily by taking off the flywheel and monorail portion.
if you want to know more about a concept2 model d indoor rowing machine you can read our segment
- Sturdy enough for commercial use.
- PM 5 monitor keeps track of your progress.
- USB or computer connectivity lets you store all your data.
- Suitable for almost all users with its weight capacity of 500 pounds.
- Easy to assemble.
- Large footprint.
- Air resistance can get noisy.
- The seat can get uncomfortable.
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine.
In case you are looking for a rare instance where you buy a great magnetic resistance rowing machine at an affordable price, you might be quite close to that instance. Sunny SF-RW5515 is a rower that has 8 levels of adjustable magnetic resistance. So, you can just row slowly but still get the required resistance. Moreover, the rowing machine is quite comfortable to use.
It comes with a padded seat, non-slip grip handlebars, and large foot pedals. Moreover, the foot pedals have foot straps to keep your feet in place. All these features, however, do not sacrifice the quality and durability of this rower. It has a great strong build design which has also used durable materials in construction.
Apart from all that, it also offers you a large basic LCD monitor with which you can track your progress and stay motivated. It gives you a count of time, calories, strokes and total strokes. This rower is great for people with a height equal to or less than 6.7 feet and weighing up to 250 lbs. Lastly, when you are done, you can easily fold it and store it thanks to the attached wheels.
- Quiet and smooth resistance.
- Adjustable, strong resistance.
- Foldable along with transport wheels.
- Good capacity.
- The monitor is completely basic lacking any advanced feature.
- Large footprint.
Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine.
If you want the qualities of big in small and inexpensive then this would be a rowing machine to consider. This rowing machine offers you the best for the price you pay for it. Not only is it sturdy in build and durable but also gives you the best in exercise. It, in fact, offers you two separate foam padded handles to make your rowing more realistic and effective! You can adjust your resistance level from level-1 to level-12, using just a dial without even getting off the rower.
It uses hydraulic piston resistance which offers a smooth rowing experience as well. Moreover, the rower is quite comfortable with its padded seat and well-built handles. However, a few users did complain about the seat getting uncomfortable. Apart from that, the foot pedals, although comfortable, seem to be too large for a lot of users. Even the foot straps cannot hold the feet in place at times.
The monitor is quite efficient in providing all the basic data for the workout. Moreover, it keeps showing the different data periodically after 6 seconds in scan mode. However, it is not backlit. The rower can take up to 250 lbs. Lastly, the rower is not only compact but also foldable. You just have to unscrew two arms to fold it and store.
- Compact design helps its small footprint.
- Easy to store and assemble.
- Adjustable resistance.
- Two separate rowing handles.
- Sturdy build.
- Uncomfortable seat and foot pedal.
- A hydraulic piston may leak.
Stamina ATS Air Rower.
Stamina ATS Air Rower is the example of quality and affordability in one place. If you are looking for an affordable rower that is here to stay, this would be the one. However, it does not mean that it will just ‘stay’, in fact, it will do its job quite well while staying.
This rower comes equipped with not only an oversized seat to accommodate any user but also an oversized rail to make the seat gliding as smooth as possible. Moreover, the seat rail is also angled for easy return. Apart from that, the footplates are also large enough for any user along with foot straps that will definitely hold the feet in place. Even the handles have textured grips to hold you in place.
As for resistance, the rower uses wind resistance which you can adjust only with the pace of your Best rowing machine. While you work out, the monitor will keep you updated on your progress providing the basic information like speed, time, strokes, calories, etc. Lastly, you can easily store this rower by folding it and using the wheels that come with it. This rower can take users up to 250 lbs. (although users weighing more than 300 lbs. reported no problem) and users with heights up to 6.5 feet.
- Sturdy construction.
- Comfortable design with large seats and rails.
- Smooth air resistance.
- Easy storage.
- Large capacity.
- The absence of a heart monitor.
Stamina 1205 Precision Rower.
The Stamina 1205 Precision Rower is a rower that leaves a minimum footprint and a great low-impact exercise at a very low price. It uses hydraulic piston resistance which makes your workout movements quite smooth with its fluid action.
Moreover, the roller system bearing deluxe balls adds to that smoothness and eliminates noise. You can also adjust the resistance levels to any level from 1-5, among which 5 is the easiest. With a capacity of holding up to 250 lbs. this rowers gives you durability and performance alongside comfort. The padded seats are quite comfortable and the foot pedals are adjustable to help you get the perfect position for Best rowing machine. Moreover, the monitor will track your progress by recording strokes, speed, time and distance. It is very easy to use with its one-button system and start-up the moment you sit on the seat.
However, it’s neither backlit nor the calorie measurement is programmable. Lastly, although this rower is not foldable, it is quite lightweight to move with a detachable seat. So, you can easily store it by keeping it upright.
- Sturdy and durable construction.
- Compact design with small footprint.
- Easy to store.
- Smooth operation.
- 5-year warranty.
- Confusing manual.
- Neither foldable nor does it come with wheels.
- Pistons may cause issues.
Harvil Hydraulic Rowing Machine.
This rower is great for low impact cardio workout and home usage. Built on a long steel frame, it can withstand tough and heavy workouts. However, that does not mean it will take most of your room space. It is, in fact, very compact in design.
Moreover, it offers you a basic monitor that keep track of only the essentials. As for comfort, it does not fail you with its generously padded and molded seat that glides your every motion. Apart from that, the pivoting foot pedals with straps can fit almost anyone. The use of a hydraulic piston makes it quiet and smooth in operation.
Moreover, you can adjust your resistance easily with the turn of a knob. This amazing rower offering you the basic benefits at a very low cost can take weights up to 265 lbs. You can fold it up and store it easily after use as well.
- Compact design that saves space.
- Good-quality build.
- Foldable and easy to store.
- Adjustable, smooth and quiet hydraulic resistance.
- Low capacity.
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW1410 Rowing Machine
If you have a workout in mind that engages each and every part of your body, you might as well consider the SF-RW1410 rower. With this rower and its Full Motion Arms, you can engage almost any muscle group you intend to. Moreover, the motion gives you the natural feel of Best rowing machine an actual boat. Apart from that, you can adjust the resistance anywhere from level-1 to 12 just by turning a knob under the seat.
As a matter of fact, the rower uses one hydraulic piston for resistance which is situated below the seat and makes the rower compact, lightweight and quiet. The overall build is quite comfortable with a padded, gliding seat, non-slip grip handles and finally an adjustable large foot pedal with straps.
Besides, the LCD monitor displays all the basic data like time, calories, count and total count to keep you updated. Lastly, the rower offers this for quite some time with its durable and sturdy steel construction. It can support people weighing up to 220 lbs. and is very easy to assemble.
- Great resistance system that aids a smooth, natural and noise-free workout.
- Full Motion Arms help a full-body workout.
- Compact and lightweight in design.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble which makes it easy to move.
- Adjustable resistance.
- Sturdy and durable build.
- The Piston may heat up and leak.
- Not resistant enough for tough workouts.
Stamina 35-1215 Orbital Rowing Machine with Free Motion Arms.
What should get you to consider this rower is its free motion arms and the resistance that comes with it. Firstly, free motion arms mean two different arms for each of your arms. As the rower uses two hydraulic pistons for resistance, each of these pistons is connected to each arm.
Not only do you get to take your two arms at any angle without synchronizing their movements but you also get two different resistance in each arm. You can usually set the resistance anywhere from 1-5. Now that you know its special features, you know how well and what a variety of workouts you can have with it. That should keep your interest in Best rowing machine a little longer. Apart from that, it does offer the basics like an LCD monitor that tracks and displays the essential data.
Moreover, you get all the comfort you need with its padded seat, foam grip handles, and pivoting footrest. However, the seat might hurt a bit after usage for long periods. But, you can easily solve the problem with extra padding. This rower with a capacity of 250 pounds can be stored easily with its foldable free motion arms and compact size.
- Two different arms with different resistance pistons.
- Five level of hydraulic piston resistance.
- Sturdy build.
- Easy to store.
- Adjustable angle for seat rail to increase resistance.
- Pivoting footrests do not pivot enough.
- Wheels under tear are prone to wear.
- Not suitable for everyone’s size.
LifeSpan RW1000 Indoor Rowing Machine
In case you want your rower to give priority to your safety most, Joroto MR30 would be a great purchase. Top athletes and professionals were consulted to design and build this rower. So, you can stay assured of the effective and efficient build. As a matter of fact, it has been built using aluminum which does not just make it sturdy but gives it a sleek look.
The magnetic resistance it uses makes it quiet and smooth. Moreover, the quiet magnetic wheel of 16 lbs. assures noise-free workout. You can, in fact, choose from 16 different adjustment levels. Starting from the seat to the footrest everything has been designed keeping comfort in mind. It also contains a basic monitor. Moreover, the whole unit is foldable with a capacity of 300 lbs.
- Sturdy aluminum build.
- Smooth magnetic resistance.
- Extra quiet flywheel.
- 16 different levels of resistance.
- Low capacity.
If all the basic monitors do not please you and you have a higher budget then Kettler’s Favorit won’t disappoint you. The company itself is so sure that it won’t disappoint you, it offers a lifetime warranty for the rower. Let’s talk about the monitor first. You will get a monitor that displays six functions- time, energy, distance, strokes, pulse rate and also frequency. However, it does not stop there, it also includes a recovery feature that includes cardio wellness grading from level 1-6 to improve performance.
Apart from that, you can adjust the hydraulic piston resistance which is attached to each of the arms. And, the greatest thing is that you have 50 different levels to choose from! Moreover, the arms have a free motion design which lets you vary your Best rowing machine angles. The rower will be there to stay with you with its powder-coated Carbon Steel frame.
When it comes to comfort, this rower offers a heavily padded, heavy-duty seat and thick handles. Moreover, you can smoothly glide up and down the rails on your seat without ever lubricating the rower. With a capacity of 300 lbs. Favorite is quite easy to store with its foldable Best rowing machine arms.
- Durable and sturdy build.
- Fifty different resistance levels.
- Free Motion design.
- Pulse rate monitor.
- Compact in size and easy to store.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Difficult assembly.
- No added wheels.
- Metric system used in the monitor.
You have not only reached the end of our Best rowing machine reviews but also are now enlightened about the factors you have to consider while buying a rower. Your chance of regretting your purchase in the future has at least been reduced by 50%. Our rower reviews must have already helped you reach a decision. So, do not wait any longer. Just buy the rower and row away.
— Guide to Buy the Best Rowing Machine —
- The types: You have to know which type of rower you want in your house. There are basically four types of rowers based on how they provide resistance.
- Water Resistance Rowers: As you might have expected, a water resistance best rowing machine provides resistance using water. This helps to create a more realistic approach to rowing exercise, doesn’t it? Apparently, this resistance is created by rotating flywheels inside a water tank. The speed or level depends on the user itself. When the user goes applies more force, the resistance increases, when less, the resistance decreases. Although the process is not very quiet the sounds produced resembles that of outdoor rowing and is, thus, quite soothing.
- Air Resistance Rowers: These rowers create resistance by utilizing a fan with large blades that is housed in the flywheel. Chains or belts drive this kind of rowers. Apparently, they are quite common in gyms and health clubs. These rowers also make noise but they are quite smooth in work. Moreover, they also resist in proportion to what the force the user applies.
- Magnetic Resistance Rowers: Obviously, these rowers use magnets to create resistance which in turn gives you the option to adjust the resistance. It does not depend on your applied force to provide resistance. Moreover, as it’s magnetic, it’s smooth and also quiet.
- Hydraulic Piston resistance Rowers: Well, they use pistons to create resistance and are the cheapest rowers available. Apart from that, you can adjust the resistance level in these rowers.
- The sizes: Rowers are the kind of exercise equipment that lets its presence known. In other words, they will occupy a noticeable amount of space. But, you do not want it to be oversized for your room. Therefore, measure the place you are going to keep the rower in then choose the best rowing machine that fits the space requirements.
Apart from that, the length of the rower is an important factor. Although most rowers offer adjustable foot straps to help you get the perfect position to exercise, it might not be enough for taller users. You have to check the rower’s length and width and see if you can comfortably fit in and get your job done.
- Storage: As you already know, rowers are not very easy to hide. If you are planning to keep your rower in plain view even after use, you are good to skip this point. However, if you are not, you should give some thought to the storage features a rower offers. Most rowers can be stored by keeping the upright on their base. However, if that is not enough for you, other comes with features like detachable parts, frames, etc. to make the process even easier for you.
- The Strength: Well, your rower should obviously be strong enough to handle you. This is where the question whether you want to use it for home, commercial or the refurbished rower comes in. If you want to go easy on your rower and use it like once a day by yourself, you want the home rower. Again, if you want to not only have intense workouts but also allow others to use it throughout the day then you need the commercial one. This is basically what’s used in gyms for a lot of visitors. Lastly, if you want a bit of both then you have the refurbished one to look up.
The strength a rower can handle depends on its construction and material. Higher the quality, more suitable the rower for rigorous use. Therefore, you need to look more carefully into durability and materials in case of commercial rowers.
- The Tech: You do not want to miss out on this because what good is a rower from some pieces of wood assembled if it does not provide you with advanced information? A rower should offer a basic computer or monitors that keep you updated about your progress.
It should monitor your time, distance, speed and calories. Apart from that, heart monitors through pulse rates are also great features offered by rowers. If you are ongoing a cardio workout, this feature should come in handy. Lastly, make sure whatever the feature the rower offers, it should be easy to view, use and accurate.
10.The Comfort: Since this is to get you healthier and fitter, you should not ignore the comfort. The workout is going to be hard but it should not be uncomfortable. To assure comfort, you should check the padding of the seat and handlebars. They should be sufficiently padded to not cause obstructions. Moreover, the footplates should be adjustable to the required length.
Apart from the, you should also check that the height or width of the seats or any other part does not bother your comfort.
- The Prices: This is quite an influential factor in case of rowers. Rowers apparently vary according to price ranges. For example, if you are looking for rowers for less intense workouts and less use, the ones below $400 should do well enough for you. In case you want a higher quality from low-end but less price than the highest, the ones between $400 and $700 would be a good choice.
And, lastly, if you want tough, durable and the highest quality rowers, you will need to go over $700. The lower price, however, does not mean that the rower will be less durable. But, it can be durable at the level the users want it to perform.